I found this cute unfinished wood item at Goodwill in October. I bought it, thinking that my children and I could decorate it together.
Well, they loved the idea but never wanted to actually sit down and do it when I asked. So I gave up and decorated it myself!
- Unfinished Wood Santa Countdown (the tag said Hobby Lobby)
- DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint, Cotton Ball
- DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint, Red Barn
- DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint, 8-Ounce, Black Tie
- DecoArt Glamour Dust 2-Ounce Sizzling Red Glitter Paint
- MOD PODGE Plaid Collage Clay, Vanilla White
- Number Stickers (Dollar Tree)
Step one: Paint the pieces as desired. I painted the clothing and cap red, the gloves black, and the blocks white.
Step two: Place the number stickers on the blocks.
Step three: Embellish with Glamour Dust paint. I used red on the sides and crystal on the blocks.
Step four: Use Vanilla Collage Clay to embellish the hat and beard. I used the star tip that comes in the package. I made stars (or are they flowers?) on the hat, and then made lines to first fill in each side of the mustache, then the beard.
Step five: Glue buttons on for the eyes.
I think the Collage Clay adds a really fun 3-D aspect to the piece. My kids were thrilled with the final product, and they enjoy changing the numbers each day. Maybe next time I ask them to craft with me they’ll be more willing to participate!