Tiki party decor to make for your next social event.
I just love the beach and island living. Since I’m landlocked, I have to resort to tropical decor to bring the islands home. I was thrilled when my daughter agreed to have a tiki themed “flamingle” for her birthday party a few years ago. I created several island themed tiki party decor items to set a tropical tablescape. We used our pieces to create a yummy ice cream bar!
Supplies Used to Create Tiki Party Decor:
- Walnut Hollow Wood Paddle
- Walnut Hollow Round Plate
- Walnut Hollow Star Shape Plaque
- Walnut Hollow Wood Slats (4 to a pack)
- Decoupage Medium
- Americana MultiSurface Paint: Green, Yellow, Brown
- DecoArt Honeycomb Stencil
- Patterned paper
To create the pineapple effect on the plates and the paddle:
1. Paint the chargers and the lower part of the oar with Brown Sugar paint. Let it dry.
2. Place the honeycomb stencil over the brown painted areas. Dab the yellow paint over the stencil to create the pineapple.
3. Paint the handle of the oar and the stars green. Let it dry completely.
4. Use a different shade of green paint to add leaves to the pineapple. Start at the base and then continue to the top.
To create the tiki bar signs:
1. Paint the edges of three wood pieces with various colors. Paint the fourth piece a solid color.
2. Trim patterned cardstock to fit the wood pieces. Use Decoupage to attach the paper to the wood.
3. Decorate the signs with alphabet stickers, or write your message with a paint marker.
4. Use wood glue to attach the signs to the base piece. I attached a fifth piece of wood at the bottom to make a base so the sign could stand.
To decorate the table, use the tiki sign as a centerpiece and surround it with leis and coconut cups. Place the pineapple oar in front of the sign, and the chargers on either side. Set the stars next to the chargers to add the pineapple “top”. I placed small bottles full of various sprinkles on the oar, and arranged larger topping jars and bottles on the chargers.
Doesn’t this tropical party look inviting? My family has decided that this tiki ice cream bar is going to stay up all summer! Check out my tiki party outdoor movie set up for more tropical party ideas.
I originally published this post on the Walnut Hollow blog as a member of their design team.