Follow this mandrake tutorial to make this Harry Potter DIY project.
I’m a big Harry Potter fan. You might remember my free Potter printables, my Hogwarts desk organizer, my Mad Eye Moody sleeping mask, or my DIY Pygmy Puffs. This year I took a slightly creepier turn. I made a screaming mandrake! I’ve been so excited to share this project with all of you as well as the fans of Rae Gun Rambling’s Harry Potter Crafts series. I hope you all love this project as much as my kids and I do!
Supplies Used for this Mandrake Tutorial:
- Small baby doll from Goodwill San Antonio
- Thin kraft paper
- Xyron Creative Station, 9″ with 5″ Option
- Deco Art Media Modeling Paste, 4-Ounce, White
- DecoArt Americana Mediums, 8-Ounce, Weathered Wood
- Pot & soil
- Artificial leaves
- Mandrake printable from here
See the video tutorial above to see exactly how I made this mandrake tutorial. If you prefer written instructions, I’ve included those below.
Roll the kraft paper through the Xyron Creative Station using permanent adhesive. Cut the paper in thin strips.
Wrap the paper around the wire pieces. Crumple and wrinkle the paper to create a wood like texture. Build up the pieces as desired by adding more paper. Cover the face with paper.
Use an awl or other sharp tool to make three holes in the doll’s hands and the top of the head. Insert strands of wire in each hole.
Place the molding paste over the paper. Sculpt facial features as desired. Let it dry.
Paint the paper brown. When it is dry paint the Weathered Wood medium over it.
Brush the lighter brown color over the dried medium. Let it dry. It will crackle to look like aged wood.
Paint the “roots” an off white color.
I used a staining medium mixed with metallic glaze to add highlights and dimension.
Clip artificial leaves and hot glue them onto the branches.
To kick things off this year’s Harry Potter round up, Rae Gun’s Ramblings has got an awesome giveaway! One lucky winner will receive all the amazing things below! ENTER by using the widget below (or clicking here). To see all the new Harry Potter projects and find enter check here as they will be updated daily!
- $50 Amazon gift card perfect for picking out your own awesome Harry Potter swag or stocking up on craft supplies to make your own inspired by the great tutorials from the series!
- $50 Shop credit to spend on LuLaRoe with RaeGunRoe who will be having a special Harry Potter inspired event during the series!
- One Harry Potter Baby Costume or House Tie Necklace from RaeGun perfect for Halloween, or sporting to a vacation to the Wizarding world, or just for any old Tuesday!
- One Nerdifore from Giggles and Mischief (put to a $40) she makes the cutest Harry Potter inspired dresses for big girls as well as My Little Pony, Super Hero and other awesomely geeky options.
- Dumbledore and Harry Potter action figures!
- Other surprise Harry Potter swag!
I loved the 1st Harry Potter because Richard Harris was Dumbledore. But I guess Professor Snape was my next favorite.
Snape…such a surprise at the end. I never thought I’d like him so much.
you are amazing! I bow to you. this turned out sooooooo fantastic. And I’m totally dying over that green house photo!
Thanks so much!! This was such a fun project to make.
Wow! Love this project!! As to who is my favorite…… It has to be Harry, being the underdog at the beginning, then coming into his own in the later books, to me is great inspiration for everyone to stay true to yourself. Hermione being a “mudblood” works harder than anyone and becomes a great wizard in her own right.
[…] to your favorite little wizards and witches! For more awesome Harry Potter inspired fun, see my mandrake tutorial, my Pygmy puff DIY, or my Bertie Botts […]
Thanks for the tutorial! I just made one! Very cute!
Yay! Glad you liked it!